Tuesday 10 April 2012

Off topic! Great night at the theatre!

One of the reasons I called this The Very Vocal Blog was that, on occasion I could go off topic and discuss something not totally to do with vocal work.  Just generally shoot my mouth off and be "vocal" (get it!) on any topic that came to mind.

So here's the first off topic discussion - Did Shakespeare really write his plays?     Answers in an essay of not more than 5000 words, delivered to the Descendants of Kit Marlow....   


No, not really. I'm not going to open that can of worms here, although our very amusing and irreverent guide on the boat trip down the Avon this morning did discuss it in some detail. 

I just wanted to say what a great time I had taking Mrs Show Widow to Twelfth Night at the RSC last night.   I actually don't care who wrote it, I love the play.   Nearly 20 years ago I played Malvolio in a very basic but enjoyable school production - I've never forgotten the review in the Essex Country Standard - "he strutted about, preening himself like a stroppy peacock", which I always felt was a decent review for playing Malvolio.

But nothing quite prepared us for the performance of Jonathan Slinger last night.   The whole production was excellent; the comic performances of Nicholas Day (Sir Toby) and Bruce McKinnon (Sir Andrew) were a sheer delight.  But Slinger's performance was a revelation.  He is an RSC regular from the last few seasons, but this was the first time I'd seen him.   His Malvolio was instantly dislikeable in it's pomposity, but ultimately sympathetic at the end.   The reading of the Letter Scene was comic gold dust, and yet his appearance in his yellow stockings was even more extraordinary, helped in no small way by his costume, but you'll get no spoilers on that here.  If you want to find out more you'll have to go and see it.   Suffice to say the humiliation was complete and yet you couldn't help feeling sorry for character (and actor!).  The audience in the excellent new auditorium was in stitches by this time and remained so for a long time.


There's nothing quite like a good Shakespeare play, directed and performed with complete confidence by a first class ensemble.  The only sadness I have is that there is very little chance of getting back to see the same ensemble in either The Tempest or The Comedy of Errors this season.  

http://www.rsc.org.uk/whats-on/twelfth-night/

No comments:

Post a Comment